Earthquake Insurance for Owners

Even if an association has earthquake insurance, individual unit owners should carry their own earthquake insurance to cover any losses to personal property, living expenses while the association repairs the building, and special assessments levied by the association to pay for repairs.

The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) offers basic coverage to owners of condominiums. Coverage can purchased through an independent insurance broker and can be purchased regardless of any insurance carried or not carried by an association. With limitations, it pays for:

  • Damage to personal property,
  • Emergency living expenses,
  • Interior damage,
  • Special assessments levied by condominium associations to pay for earthquake repairs.

Owners should also carry an HO-6 insurance policy.

San Diego HOA Management